Monday, April 1, 2013

It's been five long years.

April Fool's Day is typically full of fun and happiness. My families' is not. We mourn the loss of a great man. My grandpa passed away April 1, 2008 of cancer, and I miss him dearly.

Grandpa and I
How has it been five years already? Five years ago, I was a freshman in high school. I was just learning how to drive. Five years ago, my grandpa was sick. Cancer had taken its toll on him, but he was a fighter! We had found out he was sick in '07, I believe. We went on a family cruise to the Caribbean in the summer of 2007. It was to celebrate my grandparents 50th wedding anniversary, and man did we have a blast! I think we all knew down deep that this would be the last time the family was complete and moderately healthy.

April Fool's Day was practically designed for my grandpa. He was the king of being goofy and funny. He could wiggle his years, and make us laugh to no end. I remember eating ice cream with him; either that or jelly beans. He seemed to always be able to put a smile on his face. Especially when he popped his false teeth out! I thought he was hilarious! Man, those were the times!
I love you!
I remember it like it was yesterday. My mom had picked me up from school. I believe I had been at extended care waiting for her to pick me up. My day had been fine, and we were pulling out of the parking lot. Mom told me grandpa died today. I was so confused. It was a joke; it had to be! It was very hard for a while to accept it. It still is because it was and is the perfect day for him to go.

Us.
I understand that you are pain free in heaven, but there is the selfish part of me that wants you here. I want to see you again, and not just sitting by your grave like I did today. I wish it was fair, and I just want to hear your laugh one more time. I would kill for it; all of us do. Your family misses you dearly, and we love you so much. You are treasured and loved by so many.

Jerrold O Snider
Sept 26, 1933- April 1, 2008
Rest in peace grandpa. I know you are in a better place, but it is still hard. Xoxo.



No comments:

Post a Comment